[Sca-cooks] Feast Lighting

Glenn Gorsuch ggorsuch at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 16:42:29 PST 2011

I have to admit, my usual feast gear basket DOES include a small flashlight,
at least for those times when I don't know the site or the staff.  Lighting
can be a real bugaboo--dim lighting can hide a lot of flaws in decor, but I
really want to know that what I'm eating, too.

One of my proudest moments, though, when I was the Baron of Rivenoak and "my
peeps" put together not only an excellent feast, but decorated the hall
beautifully, and used candlelighting in sufficient quantity that we could
see everything quite clearly.  No candelabras on the tables (well, mostly--a
few folks decorate their tables with them).  Numerous matching wall sconces,
collapsable chandeliers, and "the futon of light" (a repurposed wooden futon
frame that supports three dozen candles that stands in an otherwise dark
corner) made it quite easy to see from one end of the hall to the other.
The kitchen, of course, was lit electrically, but some convenient curtains
improvised from pavillion walls kept it from intruding.  Oh, and "Stained
glass"--made from acetate colored with magic markers, lit from outside in
the hall's windows.

None of that would have been possible without some folks handy with tools,
other tall folks with ladders, and a REALLY accomodating site owner (who
thinks we're awesome, and dines with us).  But we've held several feasts
there now, and every year the atmosphere improves.  It's a lot of work to
set up, tear down, and store--but it's SO worth it.

Gwyn
Rivenoak, Cynagua, West