[Sca-cooks] Yes It's Period and BBQ-Picnic-Potluck Feast Ideas

Karen Lyons-McGann karenthechef at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 15:54:32 PDT 2011

Why yes, as a southerner, I was struck by a number of dishes and bits of
advice that seemed right in line with traditional southern cooking.  I even
wrote up a handout and did a class at Atlantia (Or perhaps only Windmasters
Hill) collegium titled something like 'That's Period Cooking?!'
 Unfortunately, that handout is not on this computer, and surveying the
garage for it at this moment is not possible.  Off the top of my head I
recall that ham should be soaked in milk (still done with country hams) and
that 'baking soda equivalent' should be put into the water for cooking
greens to preserve their color during the long boiling necessary, again
something still advised.   These were both from Platina, but I think I first
experienced the phenomenon when reading Two 14th Century Cookery Books.

Lady Bonne