[Sca-cooks] Cheese query

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 06:13:18 PDT 2011

The Tomme cheese I know is a French cheese, normally made in Switzerland and
France. In the region of Savoie is very common, it's called "Tomme de
Savoie".
Tomme should be the generic name of the kind of cheeses manufactured in
these regions.
Very tasty and not so fat as other cheeses.
Ana

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 3:04 PM, David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com>wrote:

> Someone recently asked me for help identifying a cheese which, if I
> understood her query correctly, appears in a le Menagier recipe.
>
> "It is in this recipe that I have come across the unfamiliar word
> "tomme"referring to cheese. Of course I Googled tomme and got the litany of
> references.The best I can determine is that it refers toa semi-soft cheese
> that is round in shape, has an earthy colored rind, and a very nutty flavor.
> Unfortunately, I cannot find acheese nameto go with that description! The
> ingredients for the pie are not difficult: chard, spinach, parsley, chervil,
> fennel, mint as well as eggs, salt, frommage frais, "tomme cheese" and
> grated cheese. It is to be seasoned with ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, and
> cinnamon."
>

> Anyone recognize it?
>
> David Friedman
> www.daviddfriedman.com
> daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/
> David/Cariadoc
> www.daviddfriedman.com

http://anavaldes.wordpress.com
http://passagenwerk.wordpress.com
http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci