[Sca-cooks] Cheese query

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Jul 12 06:04:33 PDT 2011

Someone recently asked me for help identifying a cheese which, if I understood her query correctly, appears in a le Menagier recipe.

"It is in this recipe that I have come across the unfamiliar word "tomme"referring to cheese. Of course I Googled tomme and got the litany of references.The best I can determine is that it refers toa semi-soft cheese that is round in shape, has an earthy colored rind, and a very nutty flavor. Unfortunately, I cannot find acheese nameto go with that description! The ingredients for the pie are not difficult: chard, spinach, parsley, chervil, fennel, mint as well as eggs, salt, frommage frais, "tomme cheese" and grated cheese. It is to be seasoned with ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, and cinnamon."

Anyone recognize it?

David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com
daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/