[Sca-cooks] Yes It's Period and BBQ-Picnic-Potluck Feast Ideas

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Jul 14 17:58:31 PDT 2011

Rice in Northern Europe in the 8th Century is possible, but not very likely.
It would have been an import and from Arab held lands.

Rice was known in Roman times, but there is no record of it having been
cultivated in Europe.  There is believed to have been some rice production
in Egypt beginning about the 3rd Century BCE, however this was likely very
limited.  General cultivation of rice begins in the 8th and 9th Centuries as
the grain was widely introduced during the Islamic expansion.  I suspect
that it's use in Christian Europe most likely dates from the Crusades.

Bear