[Sca-cooks] Swedish Culinary Blog re: seething

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Thu Jul 21 11:45:22 PDT 2011

The German: siude;seud; sieden,... modern also sieden means keeping the stuf
just this side of the boiling point. In case of water that would mean lots
of tiny small bubbles but more of them than with simmer which is below
boiling point  and not big bubbles as in a real boil.

unfortunately most of the books I have (just in hand the Aichholzer
transcript of the 3 Viennese Codices) has only sieden for what ever you need
to cook, so it is guesswork if you need to really boil it, simmer it or
seethe it,...

just my two pennies worth of thoughts

Katharina
Drachenwald