[Sca-cooks] dry milk

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 9 01:08:10 PDT 2011

Arianwen ferch Arthur said:

<<< (I know I get it here in UK at the commissary, and I almost never
not have some (and I have never noticed that non fat dried gets rancid
either...) >>>

Is there some reason that "dried milk" is always the non-fat kind?
Dried milk seems ah "lacking". I'm not sure whether it is really the
drying process or the fact that they start with fat-free milk in the
first place, which is already a bit laking in taste and texture. Would
full fat, or even 2% milk go bad if you dried it? Or is it just that
they're removing the fat to sell at a higher price elsewhere?

<<< (I grew up learning about filled milk, and even drank some in the
80's in Japan, although my Home Ec textbooks no longer mentioned it
while teaching there) >>>

Is this a mis-typing? or is there really a "filled milk"? If so, what
is it?

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com