[Sca-cooks] period spice containers/storage

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Fri Jun 24 21:15:06 PDT 2011

------------------------------

Message: 9
>Spices that might have been provided for the "banquet course"
>included pepper, anise, cinnamon, ginger, coriander, nutmeg, cumin,
>and cubebs, along with candied/sugared nuts like filberts, pine nuts
>and almonds.

Rumpolt lists Various sugar comfits from the Apothecary:

Sugar coated almonds, anise, cinnamon bark, cloves, coriander,
caraway, fennel, walnuts, hazelnuts, peach kernels, citron peel,
apricot kernels, plum kernels, cherry kernels, chestnuts, bitter
orange peel, lemon peel, chicory root, pimpernel root, elecampane
root, sugar root, violet root, ginger and "various roots that a well
tasting scent"

Ranvaig
Um, aren't peach kernels poisonous? And cherry stones are very hard. I can't
see them softening enough to eat, even after candying. Or did people just
suck the sugar off and get a bit of cherry flavour along with it?

Angharad