[Sca-cooks] testing for lead in pottery & pewter

Arianwen ferch Arthur caer_mab at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 22:58:50 PDT 2011

I have been reading a bit of this thread and am curious.  Reading on the lead test swabs seem to give 1 or two tests (I guess you can use it a second time if the first time is not positive?)  but they seem to be rather expensive and bor the building trade?

Self-Contained EPA Recognized Test Swabs Detect Lead on ferrous metal and wood in 30 Seconds

Where I am there is a plethora of "pewter" type vessels around, old, cheap, and a lot of nice hand made pottery, so lead test strips seem a nice idea...

but what prices should one expect for the testers?

What brand names do you use and prefer?  why?

Arianwen ferch Arthur

"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog it's too dark to read." G. Marx