[Sca-cooks] Congratulations Baroness Helewyse!

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 05:41:51 PDT 2011

Thank you all for your kind words,
As far as the cooking as art or service it is worth remembering that in 15 years
in the SCA I have cooked only five feasts, they were all researched they were
all period.  At the time of my elevation to the laurel I had cooked only two.
Of course I had also translated an Italian cookbook and had been teaching
prodigiously. So that takes care of the Laurel side of things, really more for
research and teaching of Italian cookery than anything else. The Pelican is for
pretty much everything else:-) The cleaning of others feast kitchens when the
local members left the feast cook standing there with no help, the autocratting
of Baron Wars for 4 or 5 years, running merchants at Baron Wars for 10 years,
being point and shoot labor in others feast kitchens, service to the crown etc.
etc. There was a lot more than just a few feasts that led to this as far as I
can see it.

As I didn't have a chance to have a vigil at Baron Wars, it being our biggest
event of the year and very much a working event for both me and Thumper as
landed Baron and Baroness I will be having a reception at Pennsic.  I already
have Runestone hill booked on Monday night of War week from 6pm until dawn.  It
will take us a while to set up but swing on by.  I am using it to showcase many
cooks talents (why not) so there will be nummy food and drink.  Chairs may be a
little short but i will probably bring a rug and some pillows to sit on. If you
want to swing on by and say hi, write your advice in the book (I will be
drinking after all) and partake in the festivities.  If you feel like sharing
your talents by bringing a dish I certainly am not going to turn you down:-)
Expect us to put your name and kingdom on it though so all can know the glory
and amazing skills of the cooks of the SCA.  Period food is yummy!
Helewyse