[Sca-cooks] How to buy _How to Milk an Almond_

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 10:14:25 PDT 2011

I've only gotten as far as your introduction and I read this:

Most period recipes omit inessential details
such as quantities, temperatures, and times.
You take some of this and enough of that, cook
it until it is done, add a bit of something else
and serve it forth.

my reaction - "that's how my mother cooks."  My mother is old but I didn't
think she was medieval!

An exchange with my mother when I made chicken soup for the first time:
Mom - buy a chicken
Me - how much?
Mom - enough
Me - okay, how much water?
Mom - enough
Me - what else?
Mom - whatever you want
Me - How long do I cook it?
Mom - until it's done
Me - okay, thanks.

If I don't get my copy on-line I'll be stopping by Poison Pen in August.
Thank you.

Shoshanah