[Sca-cooks] salt pigs was pottery

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 16 12:57:53 PDT 2011

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/object.asp?obj_id=114773   Salt holder (Pedstal bowl)

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/object.asp?obj_id=114245  Chaffing Dish (One example)

I have a post about Salt bowls and Chaffing Dishes in my potter blog a few months
ago if anyone is so inclined to read about it.
It’s pretty limited as a lot of my pottery posts comes from a potter
perspective and very little from a cooking side (well, usually…sometimes there is a nugget or two).  http://rakurakuteipottery.blogspot.com/

I was trying to find the Roman/Pompeii "brazier" that was being spoken about, but couldn't find the stupid link (per usual).  It was discussed awhile back and it is on Stefan's FLorgy (Stefan will come to the rescue).  It's far more of a grill than a brazier... at least from my limited perspective.  Then again, I deal with pottery and there are so many terms to remember for the same thing, so I tend to separate cooking terms and that item (if I am thinking of the same oven/grill/brazier/goodness was found in Pompeii and also used in Masada (Isreal) before the time of Christ.  So... well... not sure if it is the same thing.  Not pottery from someone else mentioning.

--Mercy the potter of Caid

******