[Sca-cooks] large birds for feasts

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Mar 4 04:54:43 PST 2011

As Bear and Ranvaig have  addressed Gwen Cat's translation of 20
pre-1600 turkey recipes from Rumpolt (1581)", I will just mention that
there are also numerous turkey recipes in the English canon.

A very quick search taking just seconds on medievalcookery.com reveals
these--

A Book of Cookrye  To make sauce for capons or Turky Fowles
To bake Turky Fowles.

The Good Housewife's Jewell  To baje a Turkie and take out his bones

A NEVV BOOKE of Cookerie To bake a Turkey

And we have a great variety of art featuring the turkey too. See
Eiche, Sabine. Presenting the Turkey. The Fabulous Story of a
Flamboyant and Flavourful Bird. Florence,
Italy: Centro Di, 2004.

Johnnae