[Sca-cooks] lard

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 5 17:41:10 PST 2011

Respected friends:
(from) > >>> <yaini0625 at yahoo.com>
> 3/4/2011 1:10 PM >>>
> I have seen Lard O'Buckets in many of the Hispanic cooking
> sections of the grocery stores.
> Aelina

> From: Kathleen Roberts <karobert at unm.edu>

> I saw a 5 gallon sized bucket of it at Shamrock Foods
> retail store the other day.  Kinda spooky.

     I recommend caution in using commercial lard. Almost all of it has been hydrogenated to either "improve uniformity" -- they added softer muscle fats and want to hide that --  or to "extend shelf life" -- they want it to still be salable months or years past its natural rancidity date.
     Hydrogenation makes it act _very_ differently from real lard. It not only neither fries nor blends like the real thing, it doesn't take very much to be very bad for you.
     I won't even bother talking about the preservatives. I just ate.

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

FORTE EST VINUM, FORTIOR EST REX, FORTIORES SUNT MULIERES: SUPER OMNIA VINCIT VERITAS