[Sca-cooks] Foodgrade Sandlewood

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 21 11:57:40 PDT 2011

Mora of Dragonmarsh wrote:
>Food grade Sandalwood is also called Saunders.
>
>We carry both the Yellow/Tan version = Sandalwood Tan Powder (Santalum
>album)  1/2 oz $2.95
>
>Also Red Sandalwood Powder - slightly cinnamon taste - (Pterocarpus
>santalinus) 1/2 oz $2.95.
>1/2 oz is approximately 1/3 of a cup by volume for recipe use.
>
>20% Discounts for 1 lb packages- get together and save.
>
>All our herbs and spices are pharmacy grade .

True Sandalwood, Santalum albumm -- sometimes called White Sandalwood
-- although it is more of a very pale tannish yellow color -- is not
considered safe to eat. This is the sandalwood with the lovely
fragrance.

What i usually see called for in SCA period recipes is Red Sandalwood
/ Red Sanders / Red Saunders, Pterocarpus santalinus. This had little
flavor but adds an interesting warm red color to dishes.

I don't want people to injure themselves or their diners using true
Sandalwood in their food.
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita