[Sca-cooks] Spanish flatbread in period

Deborah Hammons mistressaldyth at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 14:47:34 PDT 2011

When I was in Elizondo, Spain in the 70's a very nice fella in a local
bakery gave me a recipe.  He called it his pan de campo.  It probably is
closer to the pan de orno (horno) that you see now.  After spending 5 years
in Texas, the pan de campo took on a whole other meaning.  (Seems it is the
"mexican' bread)

Here is the recipe.

Almost 2 TBSP dry bread yeast
3 cups warm water
6-7 cups white flour (I use half bread white and barley)
1 TBSP salt
1/4-1/2 cup olive oil

In a medium bowl, mix the yeast and water.  Leave for 15 minutes.  In a
larger bowl, mix the salt and flour and sift it together.  Mix the oil into
the flour mixture with your fingers, lightly like you would make pastry.
 Then start pouring the yeast water into the flour, mixing it by hand until
it becomes a firm dough.

Oil a large bowl and set it aside

Knead the dough until it becomes firm and elastic, on a board with flour on
it. Put it in the oiled bowl, turning it over a couple of times.  Cover it
with a wet cloth and let it double.

Pre heat the oven to 450.

Knead the dough again until it is free from bubbles and elastic.  Put it
back in the oiled bowl and let it rest for 15 minutes.

Grease your pans or flour your stones.  Cut the dough into bars, loaves or
balls and place them on the pans or stones.  You can cut slits in the tops
if you want.  Let the bread rise for 30 minutes, or until the tops start to
get flat..  Put them in the oven.  After 30 minutes spray the bread with
water.  Check every 5 minutes after that for the crust to be hard and the
loaf to sound hollow.  Then take them out and let them cool.

(I can get 2 regular loaves from this recipe, or 4-6 smaller round ones)

Aldyth