[Sca-cooks] Oat processing in the 16th century

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Mon Mar 21 20:41:57 PDT 2011

I'm working on sausage recipes from Rontzier, and an ingredient in some is
'haberköhm' (haberko:hm).  I am sure it is not 'haberkorn'.  I think the
proper spelling is haberkamm, which seems to be an occupational name -
although a German-English name dictionary defines it as an oatfield.  The
ingredient is listed with other spicing ingredients for the sausage and
not listed with the meats.

It occurs to me that I know very little about oat processing, much less
the period methods.  A kamm can be a comb - is this a way of processing
oats?  Or can kamm relate to a cog in machine? Perhaps someone here can
tell me a little more about the technology in use during this time period?

Thank you,

Katherine