[Sca-cooks] looking for lentil recipe

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Mar 8 11:36:36 PST 2011

Lentils only turn up once in medievalcookery.com' s index. I just
found that mention but I'll repeat it here.
Das Kochbuch des Meisters Eberhard
(Lentils are moderately hot and dry out and make much blood. If they
are boiled with vinegar, they extinguish the inflammation of the
blood. Those who eat much of them get dark eyes because they dry out
the body so much. Avicenna says that they damage the stomach and cause
gas and constipate.)

They only turn up once in EEBO under lentil* and subject cookery and
that's in the 1653 French Cook. Here are those mentions:

43. Potage of lentilles.

After they are well sod, and seasoned with butter, salt, and a bundle
of hearbs, take up, and serve.

You may put them upon the potage with some oile, after they are salted.

Lentilles.

AFter they are well sod, passe them in the pan with fresh butter,
salt, peper, a little of fine hearbs, and chibols, when they are well
fried, serve them.

You may serve them like pease broth; if you finde them hard to be
passed (or strained) stamp them in a mortar.

They may also be served with salat oile pas∣sed in the panne.

May not be that many recipes.

We didn't index any for the Concordance. Let me do some more checking.

Johnnae