[Sca-cooks] looking for lentil recipe

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Mar 8 11:44:17 PST 2011

Missed this recipe. It was at the top of the search. It's not Northern
Europe.
This is an excerpt from An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook
(Andalusia, 13th c. - Charles Perry, trans.)
The original source can be found at David Friedman's website

A Muzawwara (Vegetarian Dish) Beneficial for Tertian Fevers and Acute
Fevers. Take boiled peeled lentils and wash in hot water several
times; put in the pot and add water without covering them; cook and
then throw in pieces of gourd, or the stems [ribs] of Swiss chard, or
of lettuce and its tender sprigs, or the flesh of cucumber or melon,
and vinegar, coriander seed, a little cumin, Chinese cinnamon, saffron
and two ûqiyas of fresh oil; balance with a little salt and cook.
Taste, and if its flavor is pleasingly balanced between sweet and
sour, [good;] and if not, reinforce until it is equalized, according
to taste, and leave it to lose its heat until it is cold and then serve.

Johnnae