[Sca-cooks] Coping with limited cooking facilities for feast

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Mar 30 07:25:00 PDT 2011

Lots of suggestions already about grills and roasters.
A word of practical advice - check the grills beforehand. Check
working burners. Find out how much propane they use and make
arrangements for those supplies. Get an extra tank or two. Make sure
the person manning a grill knows what they are doing. Have lots of
grill tools and get meat thermometers for those cooks!

Check with the local health department and find out the regulations on
what foods can be precooked and frozen or prepared ahead for bringing
to the site. Does all food have to be prepared onsite?

Is the feast hall being used during the day? Even if it is being used,
rope off a section and use it for storage and dish set-up to save room
in the kitchen. One can prep vegies or fruits in that area.

You mentioned one stove. What about sinks and dishwashing? Is there a
commercial dishwasher?

I would advise -- under no circumstances--- do not allow the small
kitchen to be shared with a lunch tavern or another group wanting to
use the 10 by 10 space during the day.

Johnnae