[Sca-cooks] Coping with limited cooking facilities for feast

Michael Gunter dookgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 30 08:19:52 PDT 2011

Find someone with a Seal-A-Meal and do a lot of prep work.
You can make sauces, stews, meats, pottages, rice, couscous, pretty much
anything and then seal and freeze. On the day of the feast just heat up a
couple stockpots of water, boil the bags and serve.
Do you have access to the outdoors? Get a couple of cajun cooker/turkey fryer
setups and have them ready. You can precook meat or put it in marinade then
seal to be opened and grilled on site.
Get some basic meats and prepare in advance a few sauces. Make pottages and
have them sealed for reheat and serving.
Pre-bake pies and serve the same day.

I did a 12th Night feast a couple of years ago with very limited kitchen facilities
so I precooked most of it and then had several turkey fryers with stockpots full
of water to heat. We made tarts onsite and did prepwork in the kitchen.

My feast, if I recall correctly:

Beef Pottage (Seal-A-Mealed)
Zervalat sausage (made ahead, cooked and sealed)
Spiced Mustard (Made ahead)
Makke, like refried beans (Seal-A-Mealed)
Boiled Salat (Seal-A-Mealed)
Venison steaks in red wine sauce (Roasted steaks sealed with sauce)
New Peas (Seal-A-Mealed)

A variety of pies and tarts. (Made on site)

This makes for a very fast turnaround and utilizes space well.

Just a thought.

Gunthar