[Sca-cooks] Coping with limited cooking facilities for feast

Alexander Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Wed Mar 30 09:08:03 PDT 2011

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 19:41:28 -0400, "tudorpot at gmail.com"
<tudorpot at gmail.com> wrote:
> I will be serving feast for  72 in a few months. The kitchen has one
> domestic stove - four burners and one oven, it is also small- about
> 10x10 feet. Suggestions are welcome on how to work with these
> limitations, esp what period recipes/foods can be cooked prior to the
> event and transported easily.  It will be the beginning of summer here.
> This will be my first feast.

If it is an option, I highly recommend grilling, and cooking over a
firepit might be even better. For many purposes these are the more
authentic methods, and wood fire makes yummy food. If you do this, and
are not staying inside your home county, look into restrictions on
transporting firewood--there are lots of quarantines because of the
emerald ash borer. And look for a sheltered spot in case the weather
doesn't cooperate.

It would be worth asking around to see if anyone has a large grill
they could loan. And be sure to check the vehicle that's supposed to
carry it to make sure it will fit.

Another thing to consider is lechemetes. In my main specialty
(medieval English), there are many such recipes, and they tend to need
to be prepared in advance so that they're ready to slice. And it might
help to serve fritters near the end of the last course, so that they
can start cooking when practically everything else is already done.

HTH.

--
Henry/Alex