[Sca-cooks] Salt trenchers

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon May 2 11:32:58 PDT 2011

I have yet to find a reference for a "salt trencher" from a period text, so
I would be interested to know where you found the reference in the
Florilegium since I can't locate it there.  TMK, salt trencher is a modern
term that dealers use to make salt cellars seem older.

While it is possible to bake a small flat loaf with a depression in the top,
I doubt seriously if it would have been done for the medieval table.  It
serves no purpose that could not be better done by a more decorative salt
cellar and it wastes the baker's time and the patron's money to no purpose.

If I were to do this for a feast (which I probably would not do as it is
undocumentable), I would use small pastry cups.

Bear