[Sca-cooks] salt trenchers

tudorpot at gmail.com tudorpot at gmail.com
Mon May 2 14:43:36 PDT 2011

It's amazing what you can find with google books. After reading a two
word reference to salt trenchers made from bread in the article on
feasts, which sadly I can't recall which one, I did some google
searching which was not too conclusive.
After reading my email before dinner, I decided to do some more
research. Found a few sources. This might be an interesting
A& S project. I need to get hold of the full texts - using google books
today.

Antiquitates culinariae or Curious tracts relating to the culinary
affairs ...

By Richard Warner, pp 103

The head of the page says "The inthronization of Archbishop Nevill page 103

When you have carved your firft frefhe mate, be it fythe or flethe, then
make faltes on this maner. Firft uncover your Salt. Then with our brode
Knyfe take a little Salt, and plane it on your Trencher tyll it be a
even. Then with your brode Knyfe cut your Salt quadrant, and lay it
before the three principal Trenchers upon your foure quadrant Trenchers,
and in the meane tyme the courfe is ferved to the rewarde and feconde
meffe.

Then the Salt muft be fereved at the rewarde, and at the feconde meffe a
ftandyang Salt is fet without a cover, besydes the fmall Slates, which
is made of bread properly triangled on halfe Trenchers.

There is also a mention of cubes of bread either hollowed out or a
depression being made to hold salts for those other than the head table,
it appears that quotes are taken from Menagier.
*Early French Cookery: Sources, History, Original Recipes and Modern
Adaptations* By D. Eleanor Scully, Terence Peter Scully, pp 44

Theadora