[Sca-cooks] salt trenchers

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue May 3 05:14:14 PDT 2011

The Prospect Books, London, 1981 facsimile of Warner is only $130 and
up. Quite a bargain for a lovely edition. (I own two well because...)

I'd suggest however that you should read Peter Brears' Cooking and
Dining in Medieval England first. And also his The Boke of Keruynge
(Book of Carving) 1508.

You stated to start that "From what little I have found, it appears
that bread is baked with a depression in the top."

According to Brears, the salts created for Archbishop Neville (and the
only evidence for this would would be Warner) are "salt spread over a
square bread trencher with a knife, then cut into four (square)
pieces.  page 398

They are not baked with a hole in them. Nothing is mentioned about
depressions.

Johnnae

On May 2, 2011, at 5:43 PM, tudorpot at gmail.com wrote: I need to get
hold of the full texts - using google books today.