[Sca-cooks] Looking for a recipe

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu May 12 14:49:40 PDT 2011

How's about Brodo of Red Chickpeas (substituting whatever kind of chickpeas
you got) from Martino.

Brodo of red chickpeas.

To make eight platefuls: take a libra and a half (1 libra = about 10 1/2 oz.
(300 g.)) of chickpeas and wash them in hot water, drain them, the put them
in a pot in which they will be cooked.  Add half an oncia (1 oncia = about 1
oz.  (30 g.)) of flower (of wheat), a little good oil, a little salt and
about 20 crushed peppercorns and a little ground cinnamon, then thoroughly
mix all these things together with your hands.  Then add three measures of
water, a little sage,
rosemary and parsley roots.  Boil until it is reduced to the quantity of
eight platefuls.  And when they are nearly cooked pour in a little oil.  And
if you prepare this soup for invalids, add neither oil nor spices.

Five cups of chickpeas will make enough for about 24 decent size servings.
I used 4 Tbsp flour, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (very fresh), 40 peppercorns
(you may need to add a little fresh ground pepper by taste while the soup
cooks), 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tsp rubbed sage, 1 tsp crushed rosemary, 1 Tbsp
parsley root sliced (or 3 Tbsp parsley leaf if you do not have or desire
parsley root), 1 to 2 tsp salt (to taste).  Clean the chickpeas thoroughly
and let them soak overnight.  Mix brodo as per the instructions above, cover
with water and add sage, rosemary and parsley root.  Cook at a simmer until
soft (about 3 hours or put it in a crockpot and let it simmer all day while
you are at work).  Add water if necessary.  Add more oil and the salt late
in the cooking, if you deem them necessary.

This makes a nice thick soup.  I've found that about half of any given group
will like it, the other half won't, but adventurous eaters tend to run in
the plus column.  If you have an electrical socket available, the soup can
easily be kept warm in a crockpot.

Have fun at the potluck.  Wish I was there.

Bear