[Sca-cooks] OT - early printing

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri May 13 07:20:48 PDT 2011

> So, does anyone have any good recommendations on learning more about
> this? I haven't tried Wikipedia, yet. I had always thought that  Gutenburg
> *did* invent moveable type, although at first I thought the  type was of
> wood, and more recently since joining in the SCA, found  out it was metal
> type.  But apparently what I thought I knew is wrong,  or at least there
> is more to the story than I realized.
>
> Thanks,
>   Stefan

The Chinese invented moveable type.

Prior to Gutenberg, printers used wooden block type, each of which had to be
individual carved.  Gutenberg was a goldsmith who was knowledgeable about
molding metals.  He used the molding process to create individual letter
molds to mass produce standardized type.  The method produces better
printing at reduced cost.

I learned all of this fifty years ago working in my Uncle's one man job
shop, so I can't give you references.

Bear