[Sca-cooks] Brodo of Red Chickpeas

Kathleen Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Fri May 13 08:09:37 PDT 2011

I made a fairly tasty string bean and chick pea veggie dish for midwinter.  It was seasoned with olive oil, white wine, salt, pepper and cumin.  I am not a big cumin fan, so that was done lightly, but folks seemed to like it.   I bet if you subbed white wine (or red wine) vinegar for the wine, it would make a nice cold, sturdy salad.

Cailte

>>> "Cat ." <tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com> 5/13/2011 9:02 AM >>>
Thank you Bear.  It sounds interesting (am not a huge cinnamon fan, or it would
sound great ;-)

I suspect I wont have any on site prep time - I dont have the exact schedule but
it sounds like we are moving directly from COURT (indoors someplace) to
TOURNAMENT out at the field with lunch as a buffet and while not afterthought,
certainly NOT a primary stopping point on the schedule.  I dont want to be
trying to cook during court, and I dont have a field burner (aka rocket powered
propane burner) so anything I do has to be ready to serve when I get there.
Also, site opens early (for me, on a weekend, 9 is EARLY) and I have at least an
hour drive to get there... so no cooking it in the morning.
I MAY try this, or may go with a Rumpolt recipe for  Zisern, though it uses beef
broth.. am debating if using water and onion and other 'broth spices (bay, maybe
parsley root, pepper) would be enough flavor.  And then a LOT of 'green
welltasting herbs' - fresh green parsley, am debating perhaps chives - which are
growing madly in the garden, possibly a bit of thyme, hm how about green onion
tops...   And serve it as more of a cold chick pea saladish side dish.

and yes I VERY MUCH wish you and Margaret could be at Coronation!!!!

purr
Gwen Cat

221.  Take chickpease/ be they brown or white/ put the skins from them and make
then nicely clean/ as one prepares the peas/ with a lye soak/ put beef broth
over/ and let it simmer/ till it is thick/ put green welltasting herb/ that are
chopped small/ thereunder.  You may yellow it or not.  Can also put a bacon
under it/ so it is in all manners good.