[Sca-cooks] Saucy Thoughts

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon May 16 15:17:12 PDT 2011

Euriol wrote:
>This recipe comes from the Northern Cookery Book (which I believe
>one of the manuscripts was written in German)
>
>Original Recipe:
>Recip VI. Quomodo temperetur salsum dominorum et quamdiu durat. Man
>skal tak? g?rf?rs naghl?, oc Muscat, cardemomum, pip?r, cinamomum
>th?t ?r kani?l, oc ingif?r, all? i?fn w?ghn?, tho swa at kani?l ?r
>?m myk?t sum all? hin? andr?; oc slyk tu stekt br?th sum all? hin?
>andr?, oc st?t? them all? sam?, oc mal? m?th st?k ?dyk? oc lat? I en
>l?gh?l. Th?t ?r h?rr? sals?, oc ?r goth et halft aar.
>
>English Translation:
>Recipe VI. How to prepare a sauce for the lords and how long it
>lasts. One takes cloves and nutmeg, cardamon, pepper, cinnamon ?
>that is canel ? and ginger, all in equal amounts, except that there
>should be as much canel as all the other spices; and add twice as
>much toasted bread as of everything else, and grind them all
>together, and blend with strong vinegar, and place it in a cask.
>This is a lordly sauce, and it is good for half a year.
>
>Grewe, Rudolf & Constance B. Hieatt ed. trans. 2001. Libellus de
>arte coquinaria: An Early Northern Cookery Book. Tempe, Arizona.
>Medieval and Renaissance Texts and Studies.

Thank you for this! I don't own this cookbook. Armed with recipe's
beginning, i found the original on Doc's site.

Since there are many special characters in the original, which did
not come through in the Digest, here is the recipe with the (?)
replaced with variations on the characters. I replaced the letter
"ash", which is ae joined, with a&e; and i used /o to replace o with
a slash through it, the letter "oo".

Recipe VI [K6]. Quomodo temperetur salsum dominorum et quamdiu durat.
Man skal takae g/orfaers naghlae, oc muscat, cardemomum, pipaer,
cinamomum thaet aer kaniael, oc ingifaer, allae iaefn waeghnae, tho
swa at kaniael aer ae, mykaet sum allae hinae andrae; oc slyk to
stekt br/oth sum allae hinae andrae, oc st/otae them allae samae, oc
malae maeth staerk aedykae oc latae i en laeghael. Thaet aer haerrae
salsae, oc aer goth et halft aar.

--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita