[Sca-cooks] Period Street Food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri May 20 01:41:14 PDT 2011

Brighid ni Chiarain pointed us to:

======

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Honour Horne-Jaruk

<jarukcomp at yahoo.com> wrote:

<<< In Spain, little old ladies sat on street corners with a charcoal
brazier heating a pot of oil. When a customer showed up, they'd crack
an egg into it and dish it up deep-fried. I tried it- it's actually
amazingly good. There's a painting, just OOP, of such a woman. >>>

Because I know *someone* is going to ask. . .

That's "Old Woman Frying Eggs" by Velazquez:

http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/v/velazque/01/0105vela.html

=======

Okay, I wouldn't have thought to ask, but I appreciate this. But *How
did you* find this?

Alizaundre earlier also said:

<<< In England, there were carts where you could buy hot buttered
barley. >>>

Anyone have any more info on this? Was the barley boiled, like rice,
and then butter added to it, like we often do with popcorn? Or were
these made into a sort of barley mush/rice pudding like patty and
fried? Or would the dry kernels be raw or cooked somehow (like
popcorn?) and then buttered?

Stefan

I see a lot of very modern lunches being offered on the Trimaris list,
and probably elsewhere, so I, too, am interested in seeing what could
be done in the way of "period" street food. My barony uses a site with
no kitchen facilities and one or more taverns show up. Sometimes not
very period food stuffs, but usually better than hamburgers and hot
dogs. I'm not necessarily knocking these taverns with modern food.
They provide a useful service, but it would be nice to have some
things a bit more, at least, period looking.

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com