[Sca-cooks] Venison, not necessarily deer meat?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri May 20 12:21:11 PDT 2011

I wrote:
SNIP
>"venaison" was (my translation) "flesh of large
>"gibier", such as red deer, fallow deer, roe
>deer, boar." Looking up "gibier" it said (my
>translation) "edible wild animals that one takes
>in the hunt", and "the meat coming from such
>animals".
SNIP

Johnnae said:
>I did an article on Venison in 2009 for the regional newsletter.
>My opening paragraph was:
>
>"In this region of Pentamere where white tailed deer abound, it may
>come as a shock to learn that in the medieval period, venison wasn't
>always the flesh of a deer. In fact venison might have been the flesh
>of any game animal killed by hunting or through the chase. Venison
>might extend to the flesh of a boar, a bear, a hare or rabbit, as well
>as the flesh of a deer. As late as 1672, Josselyn's New England's
>Rarities would record "Bears are very fat in the fall of the leaf, at
>which time they are excellent venison." In Scotland venison could even
>refer to the flesh of a goat, although that meaning is listed as archaic
>and rare."
>from Venison. Contributed by Johnnae llyn Lewis, CE which appeared in
>the Gauntlet, October-December, 2009.

Although no one explicitly answered my question, most replies so far
have supported what i posted. So i am led to infer that in SCA-period
cookbooks, including those in English, any recipe for "venison" could
be made with boar (although most of us have access only to pig), meat
of other large game animals, and perhaps hare (or what is sold as
rabbit these days),  as well as whatever species of deer meat is
available.

I think this perhaps may change how those reading this list may cook
"venison" recipes in the future.
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita