[Sca-cooks] Mourning/Funeral Food

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun May 22 06:39:04 PDT 2011

Start with Food and the Rites of Passage, edited by Laura Mason.Food
for funerals is discussed by Peter Brears in the volume. That will
give you a start.
Then books like Death and burial in medieval England, 1066-1550
  By Christopher Daniell or Death in England: An Illustrated History
will also help.
See also Birth, marriage, and death: ritual, religion, and the life-
cycle in Tudor and Stuart England
  By David Cressy which talks about such meals in the mid 1500's.
I can't say that you will actually find a detailed account that will
list foods served at a funeral
in 1585. Most often one finds an account with a note that indicates
that an amount was paid for
the funeral foods and drink. It varied widely depending upon the
wealth of the household.

Johnnae