[Sca-cooks] An ingredient listing

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun May 22 14:55:51 PDT 2011

Mummy powder has a long history of being an ingredient in medicine.  The
practice may have started with Arab physicians in Alexandria and been
transmitted to European physicians during the early Crusades.  Use of
powdered mummy continued until some time in the 18th Century.  In the 19th
Century, mummies became curios.

The heyday of powdered mummy came between the 14th and 17th Centuries, when
powder of sun dessicated corpses may have been as common as the real thing.
Just another ingredient in the Shakespearean medicine cabinet.

IIRC, Jame Joseph Walsh provides more info in Medieval Medicine.

Bear