[Sca-cooks] Ostgardr - slightly OT, and probably more than anyone wants to know.

Carol Smith eskesmith at hotmail.com
Thu May 26 16:18:26 PDT 2011

I'm going to go all pedantic on you.  :)

Per East Kingdom law, page 18, section F, Baronies, "In all circumstances, The Crown Province of Ostgardr will be treated as a barony."  (Kingdom can spell "Ostgardr" correctly, but my computer won't give me the fancy fonts necessary. The "O" actually has a line through it, and the "D" is actually a "thorn".)  We are indeed the Crown Province of Ostgardr, but that's because we were
 the first group of the East, and since at one time there was a law stating
that the King had to live within 50 miles of Manhattan, we at first did not need other titular heads.  All lands not part of another group were considered Crown Lands and part of "The Crown Province", and the King was considered our titular head for a good many years.  That's probably how we became a Province, and when we began to need a head other than Their Majesties, we probably decided to distinguish ourselves from other groups by becoming "Crown Province", with viceroy/vicereine speaking for Their Majesties.

I remember when we were "the Nameless Province" - and Brigantia threatened to make it stick unless we actually chose a name.  Devra, you were there, too, no?  And you were probably there for the first Viceregal elections, as well.  (I had an attack of Real Life (TM) and was away from the SCA during this time, so Devra will have to fill in that history.  Master A, when did you come in?  It was when I was away, I know.)

Regards,
Brekke

> From: adamantius1 at verizon.net
> To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
> Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 18:08:51 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] The Naming of Names - slightly OOP

<snipped>

> Yes, you do. But when this all occurred, there was The SCA, which was
> based in California... and basically noplace else, and then groups
> started forming on the East Coast, and only then did the idea of
> different Kingdoms come about. And when the group in New York City
> formed, for a while that was it, and they didn't even think in terms of
> sub-groups... it was just the East to distinguish it from the West
> (formerly known as the SCA).
>
> So yeah, my local group is friggin' old... ;-)
>
> Incidentally, congrats to new Viceregal-elects Guy and Johanna!
>
> Adamantius
>

> > On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Saint Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:

<snipped>

> > > However, Ostgardr is NOT a  Crown Province because they lack for good
> > > and willing candidates for the position to fill the coronet.

> > > Beats

> > > wrote:

<snipped>

> > > common