[Sca-cooks] steins and dolmans?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat May 28 16:59:40 PDT 2011

> De said:
> <<< The original device was returned because the laurel wreath was
> upside-down and the heralds of that time said there was no such thing  as
> beer steins foaming proper, so the guys used dolmans instead of the
> steins and up righted the wreath. >>>
>
 >What's a "dolman"? I assume that is different from a doberman. :-)
>
> Thanks,
>   Stefan

Well, a dolman is a women's garment with capelike arm pieces.  That doesn't
fit the coat of arms, so I think what they mean is a dolmen.

A dolmen is a prehistoric megalithic structure with two or more upright
stones with a capstone typically forming a chamber.  The term derives from
Breton "taolvean" meaning tablestone or keystone.  "Men" in this case means
"stone" and is singular.

Bear