[Sca-cooks] OT Ansteorra and Namron was SCA placenames

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat May 28 19:09:11 PDT 2011

Bear said:
<<< For my sins, I became the second seneschal of Namron on Guy Fawkes
weekend 1977, when the group was most divided and fractious, and I got
to explain what I had done to straighten things to the Principality
Seneschal, Tessa of the Gardens, during a red tape meeting at the
second Coronet Tourney in April, 1978. >>>

Wow. 1977?

I actually was aware of the SCA then. I had a dorm mate who was in the
SCA. Bight red hair, brighter than mine. A bit crazy, even by SCA
standards. Gave me my first concussion, but not in SCA combat.

After going to a street party with a friend in 1985, wearing his
aluminum chain mail (that's when I found out that aluminum rubs off on
*everything*, probably why he was wearing the steel mail), I still
didn't join the SCA.

It wasn't until I went to the Texas Renaissance Fair in 1988 and the
friends I went with explained the SCA on the drive home, that I
decided to look up the local SCA. That's still my SCA group 22 years
later.  And I was beginning to think 22 years was a long time. :-)

I have sometimes wondered if my life would have been different if I'd
connected with the SCA in 1975/76 or in 1985.  The SCA seems to have
gotten calmer (mainly older?) since even when I joined.

<<< One of these years, I need to sift through all of the papers I
kept from those days. >>>

Please do and send me or write up anything that you think would be of
interest about the early days of the SCA or Ansteorra.  I have bits
and pieces from other viewpoints, but I'm always interested in more.
There is a reason the SCA history files are in the SCA-STORIES section
of the Florilegium. :-)

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com