[Sca-cooks] steins and dolmans?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun May 29 14:07:06 PDT 2011

> Oh! I had thought the lids were a post-period affectation or tourist-
> thing. So is that the difference between a "tankard" and a "stein"?
>
> Stefan
>
> To my understanding (and it may be wrong) stein is German and tankard is
> English.
> De

Stein is German and refers in the specific to stoneware mugs.  Tankard is
English deriving from Middle Dutch and specifically refers to an open
mouthed wooden vessel bound with hoops, large sizes being used to transport
liquids, small sizes being used for drinking.  Both words have become
generalized in usage to refer to large mugs of almost any material general
used for imbibing beer.

Bear