[Sca-cooks] Mutton

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 2 08:40:50 PDT 2011

Greetings!  Several years ago when visiting the UK, we were told that
the reason "mutton" had a bad reputation was because of improper
preparation - wrong age of the sheep, improper "hanging time", etc.  I
don't recall the specific, but here is some information I found for
Herdwick mutton.  (We had Herdwick mutton for a meal and it
was...wonderful!!)

(http://www.alternativemeats.co.uk/HERDWICK-MUTTON-FROM-LANGDALE--CUMBRIA./c-1-69/)
"Until this year, there were no industry-wide standards for meat sold as
mutton. New guidelines drawn up by Mutton Renaissance aim to ensure that
mutton is consistently of the quality expected by chefs and home-cooks.
The standards specify that sheep must be over two years old, and that
animals must have a forage-based diet (for example, grass, heather and
root crops). We're delighted to be able to source our Herdwick mutton
from Cumbria (The Lake District)."

It may be that what has been sold commonly as "mutton" is sheep that
haven't received the best care in preparation for being used as "mutton".

Alys
--
Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com