[Sca-cooks] Dijon Mustard?

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Mon May 2 12:32:39 PDT 2011

> Is this period? I am reading conflicting theories on it.
>
> Am thinking of trying a recipe out but want it to be a period recipe. Have
> tons of non-period recipe for mustards!
>

> Gwyneth

I thought to take a look at La Maison Rustique (1572) and the 1604 English
translation of it in The Countrie Farm.  There are references to mustards
from Dijon - although I don't know if it will answer your specific
questions.  I'll quote the English translation, but I will place in
brackets the additional information that is not in the French 1572
version.  I'm also modernizing the u/v's.  It seems from these entries
that the mustard of the Dijon region already had a reputation for quality.

For to make mustard, you must picke and cleanse your seed very well,
searce it, wash it in colde water, and after leave it a whole night in the
water, then take it out, and when you have wrung it or pressed it (as
neere as you can) dry with your hand, then put it in a new or verie cleane
mortar, and bray it with a peestle with strong vineger, and then after
that straine it.  [Some make a very pleasant mustard in this maner.
Take two ounces of the see of Senme, halfe an ounce of cinamome, poune
them very small, and with hony and vineger make a paste, and of the paste
little loaves, which you shall dry in the sunne or oven : and when you
would use it, dissolve one or some of one of your loaves in verjuice or
vineger, or some other liquor.]

Some to take away the great sharpnesse that is in it , doe steepe the seed
in new wine, during vintage time, and them make it as we have sayd
already, after they put it in little barrels, such a mustard of Aniou is
woont to be put in.  The people of Dijon make it in small loaves, and when
they will use it they dissolve it in vineger.  The mustard of Dijon hath
woon the praise from all other, either because of the seed growing there,
which is better than that of other countries, or by reason of the making
thereof, which the inhanbitants there doe perform more carefully than in
other places.

Katherine