[Sca-cooks] Marquesote

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed May 11 07:02:53 PDT 2011

Marquesote is a type of cake whose recipe I found in a Mexican cookbook.
I've tossed one together for a luncheon today, but I was wondering about
its' antecedents and whether anyone has encountered something similar in the
Spanish corpus.  Other than the baking powder, which gives it a little more
lift, the ingredients and preparation are reminding me of a historical
recipe of which I can not recall the source or the precise details.

The recipe:

8 eggs
2 cups cake flour (I used rice flour)
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cups of sugar
1/2 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a seperate bowl, mix the dry ingredients and sift.
Seperate eggs, reserve the yolks.
Whip the whites until stiff.
Gently fold the yolks into the egg whites.
Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
Fold the melted butter into the egg mixture.
Grease and flour a baking pan.  The original recipe calls for a 24 to 26
inch loaf pan, but I used an 11 X 14 cake pan.
Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick in the center come out clean (in
the case of the cake pan, it took about 25 minutes to fully set the batter
and I pulled it out just before the 30 minutes was up).  Beautiful golden
brown color.
Cool on a rack.
Sprinkle with confectioners sugar or serve with hard sauce.

Bear