[Sca-cooks] Cake was period hard sauce?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed May 11 18:58:19 PDT 2011

from 2005

There's a pound cake recipe (actually it calls for 2 pounds each of
butter, flour, sugar, plus eggs, rosewater, and 2 pounds of currants)
in Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery. The manuscripts that
make up the book are dated as Tudor-Jacobean or roughly 1580-1625
by the editor Karen Hess. These are baked in buttered pans, but the size
is not stated. See recipe S 149, pages 314-315.

Johnnae llyn Lewis