[Sca-cooks] Saucy Thoughts

Euriol of Lothian euriol at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 20:12:55 PDT 2011

This recipe comes from the Northern Cookery Book (which I believe one of the manuscripts was written in German)

Original Recipe:
Recip VI
Quomodo temperetur salsum
dominorum et quamdiu durat.
Man skal takæ gørfærs naghlæ, oc
Muscat, cardemomum, pipær, cinamomum thæt ær kaniæl, oc ingifær, allæ iæfn
wæghnæ, tho swa at kaniæl ær æm mykæt sum allæ hinæ andræ; oc slyk tu stekt
brøth sum allæ hinæ andræ, oc støtæ them allæ samæ, oc malæ mæth stæk ædykæ oc
latæ I en læghæl. Thæt ær hærræ salsæ, oc ær goth et halft aar.
English Translation:
Recipe VI
How to prepare a sauce for the
lords and how long it lasts.
One takes cloves and nutmeg,
cardamon, pepper, cinnamon – that is canel – and ginger, all in equal amounts,
except that there should be as much canel as all the other spices; and add
twice as much toasted bread as of everything else, and grind them all together,
and blend with strong vinegar, and place it in a cask. This is a lordly sauce,
and it is good for half a year.

Grewe, Rudolf &
Constance B. Hieatt ed. trans. 2001. Libellus
de arte coquinaria: An Early Northern Cookery Book. Tempe, Arizona.
Medieval and Renaissance Texts and Studies.

Euriol