[Sca-cooks] Saucy Thoughts

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue May 17 11:48:13 PDT 2011

Thorvald wrote:
>Ouverture, 1604, has ten specific sauces which include cinnamon.
>
>- for roasted cow's udder.
>- for a veal subtlety.
>- for dogfish pasties.
>- for roasted sturgeon.
>- for roasted dogfish.
>- for tuna.
>- for leg of mutton subtlety.
>- for roasted calf's liver.
>- for a veal subtlety.
>- for duck.
>
>I have not analyzed how many of these might reasonably be considered
>to be versions of Cameline.

Thank you. I'll look them over.

>I hadn't previously realized quite how much cinnamon Casteau must
>have used. In 194 recipes the word 'cinnamon' appears 102 times!

I find counting ingredients, as unglamorous as it may sound, can be
quite informative within a cookbook or cuisine or when comparing
cuisines.

I did it to compare two 13th c. Arabic language cookbooks, one from
the far west of Dar al-Islam (so-called anonymous Andalusian) and one
from its heart (al-Baghdadi), which showed some significant
differences, pace Manuela Marin.

When i did an ingredient count of about 1/3 to 1/2 of surviving 15th
c. imperial Ottoman recipes (and not counting sweets) i found the
very limited number and use of spices surprising.
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita