[Sca-cooks] Period Street Food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri May 20 00:50:21 PDT 2011

I've been trying to figure out whether you want period street food or
specifically finger foods.

I mentioned the finger-foods-msg file in the Florilegium earlier. Here
are some more files that might of use:

I understand that you are considering doing this at a site(s) with few
kitchen facilities. What about items that might be cooked elsewhere,
but you might wish to warm up on site?
Scotch-Eggs-msg (25K) 7/19/10 Fried sausage-wrapped hard-boiled eggs.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Scotch-Eggs-msg.html

  (questionable period-ness, though)

biscotti-msg (22K) 12/22/08 Period biscotti, a twice-baked travel bread.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/biscotti-msg.html

Litle-Morsels-art (18K) 6/23/06 "Little morsels or biscotti from 16th
cent. Italy" by Lady Helewyse de Birkestad.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/Litle-Morsels-art.html

fried-breads-msg (70K) 11/ 7/10 Period fried breads. Funnel cakes,
donuts.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/fried-breads-msg.html

(Definitely period street foods. Some you could do ahead but others
you'd want to be able to fry on site)

pretzels-msg (66K) 6/10/07 Period pretzels and pretzel-like breads.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/pretzels-msg.html

(Definitely also a period street food. No known recipes though, as far
as I know)

wafers-msg (130K) 1/ 9/08 Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/wafers-msg.html

(these could be made ahead of time. I've not managed to do a savory
wafer that worked, but there are both savory and sweet wafer recipes
in this file)

ME-revel-fds-art (59K) 10/22/04 Medieval Middle Eastern foods suitable
for a revel or buffet w. recipes by Anahita.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/ME-revel-fds-art.html

(Some of these might work for finger foods)

Russian-Snaks-art (10K) 4/23/02 "A Russian Snack!" by Posadnik.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/Russian-Snaks-art.html

There are lots of period confections and sweets in the FOOD-SWEETS
section that would be a good finish to a meal or could be sold
individually.

I hope this helps or gives you some ideas.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com