[Sca-cooks] Period Street Food

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at yahoo.com
Fri May 20 10:58:51 PDT 2011

Respected friends:
--- On Fri, 5/20/11, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Alizaundre earlier also said:
>
> <<< In England, there were carts where you could
> buy hot buttered barley. >>>
>
> Anyone have any more info on this? Was the barley boiled,
> like rice, and then butter added to it, like we often do
> with popcorn? Or were these made into a sort of barley
> mush/rice pudding like patty and fried? Or would the dry
> kernels be raw or cooked somehow (like popcorn?) and then
> buttered?
>
> Stefan
As I remember (This was fifteen years ago, and the computer where I'd stored the link is long since dead) The barley was boiled, and the standard toppers were either butter or pepper - which also says a lot about how much the price of pepper went down between the middle ages and these Elizabethan entrepreneurs.

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

"If you're a normal human, the inside of your head is not a pretty
place. Venting it unfiltered to the internet may feel therapeutic,
but it's unlikely to end well."
--Goedjn