[Sca-cooks] Food, glorious food! (mostly OOP)

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat May 21 03:33:15 PDT 2011

Brighid quoted Arianwen, then responded:

 >>Horse meat? there are several restaurants specializing in that in
 >>Belgique

 >I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.  I know it's irrational, but. . .

Back in the early '50s when I was a child, we visited my grandparents in
Olympia, Washington.  At a family picnic I had the best steak I had ever
eaten - tender, flavorful.  I asked for seconds.  A few years later my
mother asked me if I would ever consider eating horsemeat.  I made a
face and said "no".  "Well," she said, "that's what you had in Washington."

Our minds play a powerful role in how we perceive the food we eat.  In
Argentina in the early '60s, my fellow students happily ate "sesos y
huevos revueltos".  The latter, scrambled eggs, I would have eaten.
Unfortunately for me, I knew what "sesos" were - brains.

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com