[Sca-cooks] OT Ansteorra and Namron was SCA placenames

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat May 28 16:45:42 PDT 2011

>I said:
> <<< When Ansteorra (lone Star) was being formed, there were no SCA  groups
> in Oklahoma.>>
> To which Bear replied:
> <<< You are incorrect.  Namron was formally organized in April 1977  and
> filed
> for Shire status in May.  Northkeep claims 1 May 1976 as the date of  it's
>
> founding.  I have no idea when they filed for formal status.  The
>
> Principality of Ansteorra was formally elevated by the BoD 13 September
>
> 1977.>>>
>
> Thank you for the correction. This was all long before I joined the  SCA
> and I was going by what I had been told, apparently wrongly. I  have saved
> your message to be added to my long-overdue addition to the  Anst-hist-msg
> file. I had also always assumed that if there had been  groups in Oklahoma
> that the name "Ansteorra" wouldn't have been picked.
>
> Stefan

The formation meeting for the Principality was roughly at the same time we
were forming Namron.   First Namron Protectorate was held 5-6 November 1977.
The first Coronet Tourney was held Thanksgiving Weekend 1977.  The overlap
was so close that I'm fairly certain that very few of the people in Texas
realized there were groups in Oklahoma.  In point of fact, we were largely
ignored by most of the rest of the Kingdom until the Inquisition,  I mean
the Bod Inquiry into the actions of Count Jonathon de Laufyson and Countess
Willow de Wisp during their previous reigns as the Crown of Atenveldt and
the first Crown of Ansteorra.

Northkeep was formally organized some time early in 1978 when they put
together a slate of officers and filed for status.

For my sins, I became the second seneschal of Namron on Guy Fawkes weekend
1977, when the group was most divided and fractious, and I got to explain
what I had done to straighten things to the Principality Seneschal, Tessa of
the Gardens, during a red tape meeting at the second Coronet Tourney in
April, 1978.  I don't know whether she was concerned by my actions or amazed
that I would be so direct in explaining them.  In any event, she was quite
supportive and Namron is 35 years old this year.  I was also blessed during
my tenure as seneschal to have the first Crown of Ansteorra in residence in
the group.  It truly was an interesting time.

One of these years, I need to sift through all of the papers I kept from
those days.

Bear