[Sca-cooks] 16th c. Persian Safavid cookbooks

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed May 11 19:14:58 PDT 2011

Today while searching for a completely trivial cosmetic product, i
turned up my photocopy of the book published in Tehran in the late
20th c. containing transcriptions of the two 16th c. Safavid
cookbooks. Huzzah! As i do not read Persian (although i have a hefty
modern Persian dictionary to play with), i cannot tell if they are in
16th c. Persian, modern Persian, or both.

Thanks to the 1984 scholarly article by Bert Fragner i translated
from German, coupled with my slight knowledge of Arabic numerals from
my studies of the Arabic language, i know which pages each of the two
books is on.

More than one person on this list has offered to attempt a bit of
translation - at the very least through co-workers Iranian in origin.
Thank you for your past offers of help! If those people would contact
me off list, i will see about scanning some test pages and sending
them to you.

And here's looking forward to some recipes beyond the 66 mostly meaty
rice polaw recipes i translated from German into English, as tasty as
the ones i have cooked have been. I want some vegetables, dammit!  :-)
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita