[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP, Shameless Commercial Plug: Dwarven Cookbook

Daniel Myers dmyers at medievalcookery.com
Thu Nov 3 08:46:50 PDT 2011

Stephanie (Melisande de Canonwald) and I tried to create a reasonably
consistent cuisine that made use of what foods we thought dwarves would
have, along with a small amount of imports from neighboring cultures.
The process was kind of like historic research, only backwards.
Throughout we were careful to avoid any copyright issues with the Lord
of the Rings and the Tolkein estate.

There are a lot of recipes for meat dishes (with many of those being for
sausage), some for vegetables, some sweets, and a few for ale and wine.
Most of them should appeal to the average American (to one degree or
another), but there are a few that we intended to be quirky and don't
really expect anyone to make (e.g. Parsnip Wine, Pork Tripe Stew).

I expect one of the more popular recipes will be the one for "Dwarven
Journeybread" (see below).  It's more of a cookie than proper
journeybread, but it's easy and really tasty.

- Doc

-=-=-

"To make bread that is good for travel, take oats and cook them in water
until they are done. Then mix them with honey that it be a little sweet
and some salt and water just enough to make a thick paste. Then add some
walnuts, chopped small, and mix it all well and put it into a large pan
so it is not too thick, and bake it until it is dry. When it is a day
old, cut it into pieces and wrap each piece in a clean cloth. If kept
dry it will last many weeks."

Every culture has its own version of Journeybread. While that of the
elves is generally held up as the standard, the Dwarven version is not
without its devotees. The nuts provide basic protein, a staple of the
Dwarven diet.

Dwarven Journeybread
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
1/4 cup currants (optional)

Combine butter and honey together and mix well. Add flour, baking soda,
and salt, and mix until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients and press
into baking pan about 1/4 inch deep. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15
minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and then cut. Serves 8.

[Recipe Copyright (c) 2011 Stephanie Drummonds and Daniel Myers]