[Sca-cooks] Sour syrup?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Nov 15 10:20:51 PST 2011

Tony Hunt in volume one of Anglo-Norman medicine: Roger Frugard's
"Chirurgia"
lists it as "sirop aceptous, syrop acetous 13,21 decoction of honey
and vinegar [
siropus acetosus]."

The version of the Tacuinum Sanitatis titled The four seasons of the
House of Cerruti provides a recipe for "SYRUP OF VINEGAR Siropus
acetosus." See page 61. See also Medical illustrations in medieval
manuscripts for another translation.

Johnnae